- Ancient Egypt, the symbol of the Old Kingdom often flanked on either side with a uraeus
- In early Egyptian religion, the symbol Behedeti represented Horus of Edfu, later identified with Ra-Harachte.
- Sometimes depicted on the neck of Apis, the bull of Ptah.
- Symbol is also used in heraldry
- eventually all of the subordinated gods of Egypt were considered to be aspects of the sun god, including e.g. Khepri
- As an alchemcal symbol: a winged sun hovers over a sepulchre filled with water (from Rosary of the Philosophers