- Consider the frost. Sometimes its bites do not heal. To amputate is the only way to be truly whole.
- Consider the iceberg. To view it from above the water is to see only the smallest fraction.
- Consider entropy. Some say the heat death of the universe will leave us with nothing but cold.
- Consider the chronometer. It has no knowledge of past or future, only the infinite present.
- Epoch “time”
- Floating ice streams capable of severe frostbite or Istantly freezing organic life
- Amputation was often used when the affected area was severely damaged due to frostbite
- Entropy: Degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity, Change within (a closed system)”. Entropy applies to closed systems of any size
- Chronometer: an instrument for measuring time, especially one designed to keep accurate time in spite of motion or variations in temperature, humidity, and air pressure, first developed for marine navigation, used with astronomical observation to determine longitude
- Icebreaker: large ship used to break up ice for travel through the frozen ocean. They often would trap themselves within ice dams in polar areas sometimes resulting in catastrophic crew losses
- Soviets & Russians would man drifting ice stations to explore the Arctic North Some people were marooned at Science facilities