The Queen speaks softly, and carries a big fleet.
Big stick ideology
- U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt’s foreign policy: “speak softly, and carry a big stick.”
- Roosevelt foreign policy style “the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
- Idea of negotiating peacefully, simultaneously threatening with the “big stick”, or the military,
- Comparable to gunboat diplomacy, as used in international politics by imperial powers
- West African proverb: “Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.”