- Prize of vanity, tossed to the Gods by Eris & started Trojan war.
- Zeus held a celebration of the marriage of Peleus and Thetis.
- Eris, the goddess of discord, was not invited because she was mischievous so she threw a golden apple into the ceremony, with an inscription that read “for the most beautiful”
- Three goddesses claimed the apple: Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite.
- Zeus made Paris of Troy in charge of the decision to choose who was fairest.
- Zeus gave the apple to Hermes and told him to deliver it to Paris and tell him that the goddesses would accept his decision without argument.
- after they many bribes and trickery of the Goddesses Paris foolishly chose Aphrodite’s bribe a decision that destroyed Paris and his city Troy. Known as the Trojan war
(Crux of argument) translated from Eris=Discordia
“apple of discord” signifies the core of an argument, or a small matter that could lead to a bigger dispute